With the Holiday season approaching, it is important to promote safe driving to keep yourself and others safe on the road.
What does it mean to be intoxicated?
- Being physically and/or mentally impaired by a chemical substance.
“In Canada, 30-50% of all fatal road crashes involve a driver who consumed alcohol, drugs or both” (Government of Canada, 2022).
How does being intoxicated reduce your driving ability?
- When driving you need to be alert and pay attention to the road. With drugs and alcohol, this decreases your brains ability to operate a motor vehicle. This can cause different affects on the individual; which include: attention, judgement, motor skills, reaction time, decision making skills, balance and coordination (Government of Canada, 2022).
How can I help prevent this?
- Plan ahead of time.
- Designate a sober driver to bring you and others home safely.
- Utilize the community bus, taxi and cab services.
- If you are hosting a party, take the keys of those who are intoxicated.